However, as the Summertown Library campaign blog states, the County Council is still not ruling out:
- Contracting out the library to a for-profit business. This has proved unpopular with many users in the USA and has limited experience in the UK. We are investigating this option.
- Implementing the impracticable concept of Community Libraries staffed by volunteers (a plan which most of our members believe will not work).
- Closing some libraries and curtailing library services.
- Introducing self-service schemes without librarians.
- Transferring libraries from existing buildings — some of which we suspect they plan to sell.
As the cliché goes, we have won the battle but not the war. We shouldn't allow this minor victory to distract us from our commitment to stop the closure of libraries in Oxfordshire.